Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Now, a lesson in rhythm management

School today has got to be one of the most fun ever.

Firstly, Public finance tutorial was not as tense nor as intimidating as the rest of the other EC modules. Why can't every lecturer be as encouraging as prof Chia?

Yes yes, I know; mollycoddling does more bad than good at the university level, and that we should be taught to overcome slightly more rigorous problems on our own without the lecturer's help. It's just comforting to know that you won't get cut down by some of your fellow coursemates' judgmental eyeballing, and the pathetic sympathetic vote from your tutor saying "good try, can someone else come up and finish this problem?". (Not that it's happened to me yet)

I guess with a better environment for tutorials, I'll have nothing to complain in the event of mediocrity. So.. we'll see. You're my witness.

Anyway, moving on, today's music in the global context class was really quite enjoyable as we actually got to play the mirdangam.


This two ended south indian drum. Was initially really surprised at the weight, not to mention that my palms and fingers really hurt after a few rounds on the talems at different gatis. I'm not sure if I'm using those words correctly, but it was really fun! Might actually go and check out their music school. To think MEP back in ACSI was enough exposure. We don't know much at all.

The Indian rhythmic training is really very foolproof. They match every different stroke on the drum is matched by a corresponding vocal syllable. So the Mirdangam player can literally "rap" whatever they are going to play out for you; up to 9 beats in a "bar", and then double time, triple time and even quadruple time it.

Fun Fun.

Speaking of complex rhythms, recently, I've once again been addicted to the first album of Linkin Park, i still remember all the lyrics. Something about the nu-metal alternativeness thing they do makes me feel sec 2 again.

Okay, I've got an NOC Interview tomorrow. Really quite nervous. -ommmm-

Night.

1 comment:

grace said...

You.gotta.be.kidding.me.
You get to play drums for a UNI MODULE?
Omg, NUS FASS FTW :(